Re: Webpage

Barry's website is a great start.  As we are an official student organization,
we will get some space on a university webserver.  How that would work we don't
know yet.  So here are some of my thoughts:

1) We of course would like to host our own site.  That way we would have no
restrictions on the content, disk space, access, or applications residing
thereon.  I just registered www.mtulug.com, www.mtulug.net, and www.mtulug.org
for one year.  If we can get a website up and running before this weekend,
and the domain name gets pushed out to the DNS servers by then, then perhaps
we should use one of those.  We could use www.mtulug.org for now, and redirect
the others to it.

2) If we can't get www.mtulug.org up and running so soon, then we should either
not announce any website until we do, or announce a different website and then
redirect it later to www.mtulug.org.  I'm a bit torn on this.  It would be
great to be able to point everyone on campus at a website in the email we
send out, but it might also cause confusion later if we change it.  Perhaps
we could just announce the website at the next meeting.  Any thoughts
on this would be appreciated.

3) I've never actually registered a domain name before, but I think I know
how it works.  If we don't want to pay someone to host our site, then we
need to provide two static IP addresses of our own servers to host it
(correct me if I'm wrong).  Any ideas on how to approach this would be
appreciated.  Maybe we could get those IP addrs from the university, since
I'm guessing everyone's personal machines are getting dynamic IP addrs.

This is something you guys can discuss at the informal meeting tomorrow,
I probably won't be able to attend.  I'll try and make some inquiries
tomorrow as to how we might proceed.

-John