hosting our website info

All,

I spoke with Dave Torrey today about hosting our website on a server on campus.
Dave is a senior sysadmin/programmer in the CEC.  He said we could probably work
something out with regards to putting a machine of ours on the campus network
to host www.mtulug.org.  This would be a machine we would own (so if anyone
wants to donate/lend one of their older machines, that would be great).  We
would have root access and be able to put anything we want on it.  A few
stipulations: we provide root access to Dave, and promise to fix any
security holes or apply any patches whenever he asks (he will periodically
port-scan the machine and check for weaknesses).  It would cost us about
$14/month for a 10Mbit link to the campus network (more for 100Mbit, but I
don't think we need that, at least not yet :).  We'll work out exactly where
the machine will reside, and any other details, in the near future.
We think this would be a better long-term solution than having some member
host the site from their dorm room.

But, since we want to mention our website in the email we will send out
(which we should probably send out tomorrow or Thursday), I think someone
should put our website on their machine in the dorms, and we'll configure
the campus DNS servers to resolve www.mtulug.org to that person's computer.
Then, when we get around to configuring and setting up our server that will
live on campus, we'll move the website to the new machine.  And we can
redirect our web page on the student organization server to that machine
as well.

If anyone can think of anything I haven't covered here, or has a suggestion,
let's hear it.  If there are no objections, we'll proceed, and whoever wants
to initially host our site should contact me asap.  You should know that we'll
need to provide root access for Dave to your machine while it's hosting the
site.

-John
jfduff@xxxxxxx