Re: domain names

* Adam Shirey (aeshirey@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 23:22, Chad Lindke wrote:
> >
> > Hey, I have a simple question.  How do you set up a domain so that there
> > are different parts to it.  For example: ftp.mtulug.org, mail.yahoo.com
> >
> > Is this just a setting in the webserver config files?  Thanks.
> >

> I just learned this today (though I may not be able to help you much).
>
> You need to edit the bind table:
> 	/var/named/somedomain/somedomain.com
>
> The file, AFAIK, should look something like this:
>
> 	$ORIGIN somedomain.com
> 	$TTL 6h
> 	;
>
> 	sub            IN      A       192.168.0.1   <-- IP that
> sub.somedomain.com will point to

There are a few HOW-TO's on BIND avalible. You can set up your own
personal domain name to play around with if you want. All you have to do
is make sure your bind doesn't send what it has to other domain servers.

Make sure you have the following

zone "somedomain.com" {
#Stops bind from notifying other servers of this domain
  notify no;
  type master;
  file "/etc/bind/somedomain";
}

in your named.conf

I set this up to make it easy on my internal network to access other
computers, since text is faster most of the time to type in.

-steve
--
Steven Isaacson <spisaacs@xxxxxxx> http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~spisaacs/
AIM:spi516 "Need to be proud of what you are..." - Echo Image