Re: Meeting Tomorrow (fwd)

> * Adam Shirey (aeshirey@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> > >Do we want to have a meeting tomorrow? I haven't heard anyone volunteer
> > >to do a presentation yet. We could still meet and go over other
> > >business. I for one am up for that.
> >
> > I'm not the person to present on this, but I'd like to see something on
> > recompiling kernels. Three tries and I'm still stuck with an old version.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know anything about compiling kernels except the
> debian version of doing things. What distro are you working with? I
> could do something about the basic config options. I don't have access
> to a laptop which would be very helpfull in making such a presentation.
>
> Sometimes installing the kernel and making everything work is almost as
> much fun as compiling the kernel. I have had a fun time getting modules
> to load from one version to another.
>
> John, your laptop runs linux doesn't it? Maybe you should bring it to
> the meeting tomorrow night and we can put it up on a projector and at
> least run though a kernel compile.
>
> -steve
> --

Yeah, I have a version of redhat 6.2 installed on my laptop, but with a
relatively new kernel, I think.  I can't make it to tonite's meeting however.
But I can bring it next time.

For those who were talking about the kernel module for burning CDs, it's
the ide-scsi module, and you can either compile it into the kernel (which
you may want to do if you burn CDs regularly), or configure it as a separate
module (obviously).  The ide-scsi module is an emulation layer so that
programs written to talk to only SCSI devices (like cdrecord) can
access IDE devices.

-John