Re: ethernet question

The laptop would be using PCMCIA, which often has the side effect of
failing the card during normal network init.  When card services start,
however, the network comes up fine.  Some setups change "fail" to
"delayed" on the initial attempt, but the net effect is still the same.
You'll hear a series of beeps as PCMCIA services start up -- first power,
then something for each function of each card as it is initialized.

As for the linksys... it's all a matter of knowing what chipset the card
uses.  Some are NE1000, and some use tulip (dec).  You might have to provide
options to the module as far as IO port and IRQ as well.  Also, trying
several different modules sequentially might result in a miss, as there is
a potential for a nonworking driver to have some effect on the card that
would prevent the proper module from working at all.  Not nearly the problem
it once was, it can still happen and would cause you to miss the working
driver.  Rebooting once in a while during testing and careful selection of
which drivers (based on WWW reading and chipsets) can avoid it.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Dave

| David Torrey                     Sr. System Administrator/Programmer   |
| tj@xxxxxxx                       East Engineering Computing Network    |
| (906) 487-3493 voice             Michigan Technological University     |
| (906) 487-1620 fax                  Houghton, MI 49931                 |
| http://www.cee.mtu.edu/~tj/                                            |