Audio issue

I've just reinstalled Slackware (after several failed attempts with
Debian) and everything works great except for the audio. I did the same
install as before, and I'm getting the same error message as before, I
just can't for the life of me remember how I resloved the issue. When I
go to play something in XMMS or opening the Audio Mixer, I get the
message:

I was not able to open your audio device.
Please check that you have permission to open /dev/mixer and make sure
you have sound support compiled into your kernel.

Default permissions on /dev/(mixer|dsp|audio) are all 660; I've fixed
problems similar to this by just making it 661 or 664 (not sure which
actually worked). But I changed them all to 777 and I still can't get it
to play. I even went as far as to chown them, all without any luck.

Finally, I can't cat a file into /dev/(dsp|mixer|audio) as I usually
could, and logging in as root doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I can't get any audio playback?

--

-Adam
aeshirey@xxxxxxx

Reason number #114 to use Linux: Having nothing but a command-line
interface doesn't keep you from checking your email.