Re: Non-destructive partitioning?

* Adam Shirey (aeshirey@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> I'd like to try adding Debian onto my Slack install, but don't feel like
> redoing Slack just to add on Deb. Does anyone know of a way to
> repartition my drive (right now, Slack is on hda5, which is 6.6GB, 30%
> used) without destroying data? I know FIPS works for redoing Windows
> partitions, but not for Linux file systems.

I don't know of any way to do non-destructive partitioning, but you
can resize a single partition into many paritions without messing up the
others. I took a 10GB partition that was hda7 or so and resized it into
a few 3GB partitions, with no problem at all. Of course you are going to
loose the data on the 10GB parition so just make sure to back it up.

This was using cfdisk by the way,
-steve
--
Steven Isaacson <spisaacs@xxxxxxx> AIM/Yahoo/MSN:spi516
"Hold me you said hold me closer to your heart..." - De/Vision