Re: what is the point of a boot disk?

* Robert Hall (rwhall@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> what do i need to do in order to change the placement of my hard drives on
> the chain(40 pin connector). can i have lilo on my master drive(windows)
> and also in the root of the slave(linux)?

Usually with a newer bios it really doesn't matter where lilo is since
you can select which drive the bios will boot from. And if you have lilo in
the root of the second drive(eg installed on the 1st parition not in the
mbr) the bios should still boot from it.

If you can only select "boot from hard drive" as the boot disk then the
bios will most likely try to boot from the mbr(master boot record) of
the master drive on the primary ide chain. And failing that may try the
paritions on the master drive.

There is nothing stopping you from putting lilo in the mbr of your
windows drive and having to boot the linux kernel sitting on the slave
drive. Just set up lilo correctly and away you go. There are plenty of
websites which go into detail about dual booting lilo and windows check
on google.

-steve
--
Steven Isaacson http://spi.panaverse.com <spisaacs@xxxxxxx> AIM/Yahoo/MSN:spi516
"Don't let your dreams go tumbling down" - The Echoing Green