burning and dma

My burner drops out of DMA mode every time I burn a cd.  After I burn
one, I check the drive using the command hdparm /dev/hdd, and almost
every time, the drive has reverted to PIO mode.  I can fix the problem
by using hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd, but that gets tedious if I want to burn
more than a couple discs at a time.  Anyone have any ideas as to why
this could be happening?  I'm using redhat 9, pretty much out of the box
setup.  The problem is fairly recent.  It just started happening within
the last couple days.

Thanks,
Michael Smith