Re: lug.mtu.edu outage

Jon wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:24:28AM -0400, Tim Carmean wrote:
Hey guys I just wanted to say that I was typing while tired and thats why the lug server went down around 2am this morning. I was working on adding firewall rules for jabber transports and screwed up an iptables line that effectively firewalled off all outgoing traffic (iptables -P OUTPUT DROP != iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1863 -j ACCEPT). Someone with physical access will have to go there in the morning and change the OUTPUT policy to accept (iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT), and check the rc.firewall script for the last line in the jabber section (what I was working on) for iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 1863 -j ACCEPT.

Sorry again guys, it was a stupid mistake.

Funny I was just about to email peter with this:

One of two things just happened:
1) you tried locking me out and firewalled off everyone
2) it died

no for some reason i told lug server to cut off all outgoing connections. i really have no idea what i was thinking. i guess telcom will save some money in bandwidth costs tonight...

tim

--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant