From: Andy Zobro <ajzobro@xxxxxxx>
Subject: MTU LUG Install-a-thon
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:35:03 -0400

We are not asking you to order anything that you don't think that you
will sell in the store.  We've polled the linux users group mailing list
for suggestions and pretty much everything under the sun was mentioned.
The more vital computer components and common upgrade items would
probably be the wisest.

If at all possible, it'd be beneficial to accept credit cards.  This
would encourage people to buy more.

If someone has the desire to, they may even build a computer on the
spot, if the components were all available.  Of course, we are talking
college students here, but it is possible.

At the same time, it would be best to offer a sampling of hardware and
be able to drive to Next Century and get anything else that was in stock
that they wanted.  In other words, The listing below has the items that
were suggested all mentioned, but the number of each item is the number
that we think would be good to actually bring.

Mary and I are completely willing to help choose and pack the items the
Friday before the Install-a-thon.

   *Hard drives
      -Parallel ATA (4)
         Most people probably would require parallel and very very few
serial ATA.  A range of prices and sizes would be good.
      -Serial ATA (1)
      -Laptop 2.5" (1)
   *Removable media
      -CD-ROM (2)
      -CD-RW (1)
      -DVD-ROM (1)
      -DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo (0)
      -DVD-RW (0)
      -USB "Keychain" Drives (If you have any)
      -Floppy (1)
   *RAM
      A collection of various types of RAM.  No need to bring
everything, we can always go get it if someone needs something special.
   *Power Supplies
      -ATX Power Supplies (3)
         There were numerous requests to bring power supplies.  I'd
recommend different priced (350W & Higher) ones.
   *Network Cards
      -PCI 10/100 (2)
         Inexpensive, using tulip.o driver
      -Wireless 802.11b (1)
         Linux Compatible
      -Wireless router (1)
         The wireless router would probably be sufficient as far as
routers go, at least to serve as an example of what's available.
   *Sound
      Any Linux Supported sound cards (1)
      Speakers (1)
   *Motherboard & Processor Combo
      -Pentium 4 based (1)
      -AMD Athlon based (1)
   *Cases
      -Sleek, large, spacious (1)
      -Standard Mid-Range Tower (1)
   *Peripherals
      -Keyboard PS/2 (1)
      -Mouse USB Optical (1)
   *TV Tuner
      We'll be doing presentations on the use of these tuner cards in
linux machines as well as have Mary's and my "Tivo" like linux system up
and running sporting one of these cards.  Whether you want to buy one is
up to you.  I suggest that we let people order them and have prices
ready.
      -Hauppauge PVR-250 (0)
      -Hauppauge PVR-350 (0)
   *Video Cards
      Any nVidia based graphics cards available (3)
      We don't want to deal with ATI video cards, as their drivers and
linux support is lacking.
   *Display Devices
      -Information only on available Display Devices

Please email Mary or myself with any questions you might have regarding
the items listed, the specific models you have available and their state
of linux support, the quantity of each item, or anything else.

It may be a good idea to combine the cases with the motherboards and
processors, as well as some of the RAM and video cards.  This way, there
will be actual machines on display, but that is entirely up to you.

- AZ
--

Andrew J. Zobro, B.S. Mechanical Engineering