Official poop on the SOS server

First sorry to everyone who gets multiple copies of this. Second feel
free to forward it to other mailing lists.

I attended the USG meeting tonight. I was going to ask my own questions,
but Ryan answered the major ones in a speech and it wasn't worth sticking
around to ask the minor questions. (I was bored out of my mind!)

The short official poop is: they got owned.

The long answer is:
* The timeframe for it coming back indicate no more than a month. They
are reinstalling the operating system and doing a few minor upgrades.
All accounts will be restored from (hopefully) clean backups.

* Something about moving it from DCS to ResNet. I think this is less of
a physical move and more of a "stick it behind the bandwidth limiter"
thing.

* No more dynamic pages (cgi, perl, php, sql etc., for us). He suggested
the possibility of this re-appearing much later.

* WMTU is getting their own server, so more disk space for us :)

A less official version is at:
http://tesla.resnet.mtu.edu/blog/college/20041205

--
Jon
"If someone submitted the Diebold GEMS server version that Bev showed to