(forw) [raffi@xxxxxxxx: cyber security summer internship]

And now a message from an alum.

If you are looking for something to do this summer read on.

-steve
--
Steven Isaacson http://spi.panaverse.com
<web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> AIM/MSN/Y!:spi516 Jabber:spi@xxxxxxxxxxx

			- Raphael Mudge

P.S. those of you on lug.mtu.edu need to use jIRCii.

The Central NY ACE program is a 10 week long cyber security 'boot camp'
at the Air Force Research Lab in Rome, NY.  The program is open to
rising Juniors and Seniors majoring in Computer Science, EE, and
Computer Engineering.  I went through the program during its inaugural
year and took a lot from it.  Last year 3 MTU students went through it
as well.  The application deadline is a firm date of 1 Jan 05.  Students
can apply online at: http://ace.syr.edu/application.asp.  They are
looking for GPA's of 3.0 or above.  However if a student is close they
may still want to consider applying (again this email is on my own
accord).

 The way it works is once a week students attend a day long class on a
different cyber security topic taught by a different field expert each
week.  At the end of class students are assigned a problem/scenario.
They have a week to work in teams and solve this problem and deliver a
technical paper on the problem and its solution.   One week the CEO of
Whetstone Technologies, a well known forensics firm, delivered the
lecture on digital forensics.  A USB thumb drive was delivered to class,
with the scenario that it was confiscated from a suspected drug dealer.
We had to analyze the contents of the drive, recover deleted files,
crack an encrypted file etc. to deliver a solution.

 During non-class days students are working as an intern gaining hands-on
experience in some aspect of the cyber security field.  My day job
consisted of working in the Advanced Computing Architectures Branch of
the Research Lab.   My actual project was developing visualization for
ad-hoc wireless sensor networks (a pretty hot research area right now).

 Compensation consists of round-trip travel to Rome, NY (plane ticket or
mileage reimbursement); Stipend for the summer of ~$4,500; 4 grad level
credits from Syracuse University; and housing is provided.

  Students who have gone through this course have landed jobs at the NSA,
AF Information Warfare Center, and one even ended up testifying before
the house of rep. science and tech committee on the issue of cyber
security education.

 This program is a great opportunity, if anyone has any questions about
the program they should contact Dr. Kamal Jabbour at
kamal.jabbour@xxxxxxxxx or visit the course website at
http://ace.syr.edu <http://ace.syr.edu/> .

 Standard disclaimer, I am sending all of this on my own accord to help
out some CS brethren.  None of this is the 'official' word of AFRL, the
ACE program, or the USAF.  Please verify all of the details above on the
ace website.

--- End Message ---