Re: Accessing a windows xp pro shared folder from a linux machine

Kyle Schneider wrote:
What role are you using the machine in?

If it's a desktop with something like Gnome or KDE installed, there's likely going to a built-in function to mount a samba share. In Gnome, open a nautilus window (file-browser) and click File -> Connect to Server. I'm not sure how it's done in KDE.

If it's something you're using without a GUI or, you can't get the GUI to work/don't want to mess with it, install smbfs (however your distribution does this) and use the following command: mount -t smbfs -o username=foo,password=bar //IPorHostname/share /mount/point

I too recommend PuTTY as a Windows SSH client.

Patrick Sohn-Griffus wrote:

For an SSH client, I highly recommend PuTTY, available from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Nothing else even comes close.

As to accessing windows shares from linux, I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but it's not that hard. A quick google search will turn up more information than you'll ever need.

- Patrick
Jacob Fugal wrote:

Hello,

I have a machine I just barely installed Linux on and just figured out how to get it on the network. Now I need to access some files on a windows machine on our lab subnet. I’m not even sure which program would support this. I take it that Samba will allow windows machines to access directories on the Linux machine, but not necessarily a windows directory from a Linux machine. Any tips on where to look on how to set this up?

Also, does anyone know of a good ssh2 windows client that is free or maybe cheap?

Have a good day!

Jacob Fugal

jpfugal@xxxxxxx

In kde you could do the following to access a share:

open up a konquerer window and select file and then open (or open location?). punch in smb://<machine name>/<share name> to access the share. from there it will ask for a login and password if required. there is really no reason to mount a samba share by hand any more. good luck with your linux experience.

tim
--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant