Server drive failure

Hi all,

Somewhere around 9pm Sunday one of the hard drives in the server failed. This made the Debian, Gentoo, and kernel.org mirrors unavailable.

Rebooting the server proved the fault was in the drive hardware -- it makes the 'click of death' sound on spin-up.

However, the volume manager refuses to start up properly without the drive present and working normally. So, the other mirrors (Ubuntu, TLDP) are now also offline.

Hopefully, the volume manager can be coaxed into starting up once the drive is swapped out, and the mirrors can then rebuild.

The drive that failed was one of the 160gb drives we purchased in the fall, so it should be under warranty.

More updates once I've gotten some sleep.

--
Peter Corbett
LUG Server Admin