Installathon Post-Game Report

First I'd like to thank everyone that helped out with installathon. I
think this semester went along a lot more smoothly than last semester
(network problems aside). Everyone put in a lot of hard work and I think
it paid off rather well.

To everyone that got linux installed on their machines; thanks for
coming and giving free software a shot. Hopefully you are pleased with
what you saw and will be pleased with your new linux install. If you
have any questions or problems this is the place to ask. Usually an
email to this list will result in some suggestions or solutions to most
problems. For anyone looking for information about what was talked about
during the presentations; we have them posted at:

http://lug.mtu.edu/slides05/

Some slides do actually contain more data than what's on the slide if
you click the "0" thing in the lower right corner (takes you to slide
notes view). This view is also nicer for printing.

Ubuntu Users, if I was helping you install things like dvd support I
forgot to install some packages. You will need to go back into synaptic
and go into settings -> repositories and check the box for the
ftp.nerim.net source. After doing that click reload. Next you want to
search for libdvdcss, libdvdread, and libdvd. Install those 3 packages
and you should be able to play dvd's when you insert them into your
drive. I'm sorry I missed that detail during installathon. Another thing
to note is the version of Ubuntu used at installathon is 6 months old.
Ubuntu is set to release again this month and I will be sending out
instructions on how to upgrade safely to the latest release when it is
made available. This should be within the next week or so.

Fedora Users, I'll refer you to http://www.sgowtham.net

I can't remember if I mentioned the gallery site yet, but I posted the
pictures I took at installathon to the lug gallery. The gallery is
located at http://lug.mtu.edu/gallery. I would encourage everyone with
pictures to try and get them posted up there (email the list if you need
someone to post them for you).

That's all I got right now. If I missed something then I'll leave it to
someone else to fill in the gaps.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out and to everyone that came to
the event.

Tim Carmean
--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant