Missing installs

Hey guys,

First of all, thank you for the help and information at the
install-a-thon.  I am now running Ubuntu and and am getting gradually less
excited when I boot into XP.  I have had a few difficulties however, and
the most frustrating one is after I install some programs from the
Synaptic Manager, they show that they have been installed according to the
manager, but are nowhere to be found on my Filesystem.  I have even
searched for them, only to find nothing.  My last example was Tomboy.  Any
ideas?

Thanks!
Aaron Willette