Suspend to RAM on Thinkpad T43 with Ubuntu Hoary

Hello,

I've reinstalled Ubuntu Hoary twice on my Thinkpad T43 to try and get suspend to RAM working. I followed instructions on
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntuhoarythinkpadt42.html
which is almost identical to
http://aaltonen.us/archive/2005/03/02/ubuntu-linux-on-the-ibm-thinkpad-t42/
which both say the same thing.
1. Edit /etc/default/acpi-support and uncomment the ACPI_SLEEP=true line.
2. Edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and add to the #kopt line to be #kopt=root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda5 ro pci=noacpi acpi_sleep=s3_bios

Sure enough the laptop goes to sleep just fine. However when it wakes up, the screen is either black, or has green rectangle characters all over the screen, and the hard drive light is stuck on. I have no idea how to debug something like this. I don't think any log file would be helpful as it seems the hard drive does not come online after awakening.
* Is my filesystem corrupted on awakening?
* Is my xwindows display state not returning correcetly?

The part that bugs me the most is this was working before I tried Debian on this laptop. (I gave up on Debian as the 2.6 kernel won't install (the whole boot: linux26 thing), and won't boot because of a kernel panic (tried to kill init).) I can't remember what I did to make it work. Any tips how to debug or fix this?

Jacob Fugal
jpfugal@xxxxxxx