[lug-l] Open Hardware Enterprise

Joshua,

My personal opinion on the Raspberry Pi is that it's slow, non-standard,
and locked-down.  Sure, there exists the raspbian and XBMC releases for
it, but I believe they are both relying on binary blobs of some sort
(GPU particularly).

As I linked, the EOMA68 card is, for ease of reference, a Raspberry Pi
on a standard, PCMCIA header.  The standard includes SATA and USB, and
the targeted processor is much faster than the Pi.

I believe my further suggestions are dependent on your freedoms.  Is the
enterprise looking for paid sponsors?  You'll have to go with what they
want.  If, on the other hand, you can engage with the open-source
community but maintaining milestones and deliverables, I would really
like to put you in contact with LKCL.

The goal would be an FSF-endorsable computer.  Luke (LKCL) has
descriptions of a laptop chassis that would take the EOMA68 card.  It
requires drivers for an STL32, which has an open-source library.
Alternately, the cards can be put into a server enclosure if the
backplane is designed.

In any case, the Raspberry Pi is a fad.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mele-A1000-TV-box-Allwinner-A10-hackable-device/532332455.html is a better device if you need something NOW, and the EOMA card is a better future solution.

Derek