[lug-l] Ideas for Additional Services

Hey everyone,

As you know, LUG runs a few servers that mirror packages, isos, etc.  We're currently on the hunt for new ideas to use our servers for.  In addition to hosting mirrors, perhaps we can provide some more services to LUG members, campus, or the general public.  Some ideas brought up at meetings include:

- Freenode IRC server (brought up last year, conflicts with USLUG but is still an idea)
- USLUG Minecraft/mumble server
- Hosting for member projects (git/mercurial trac/redmine)
- Personal web space on imhotep
- Mirroring other operating systems and software. BSD, pfsense, etc

If you can think of any ideas, please reply them to the list.  Our goal is to provide more services so we can put them in a server report.  With this server report and help from G, our faculty advisor, we can ask IT for new/additional servers and hardware.

We already run a few services (forgive me if I miss any):

- Distribution mirrors, iso mirrors
- Jabber server
- Tor node (not exit)
- USLUG IRC server
- Shell server for LUG members

Of course services we provide must respect ITSS policies, but expanding on this list would be great for the organization and for the open source community.  We're open to any ideas.

Thanks,

--
Josh Knight
Undergraduate, Michigan Technological University