What's the difference between OSS and ALSA?

Is it possible that only either can be supported by the audio firmware?

I've succeeded installing the debian testing on my new Dell studio14z laptop. However, there are quite a lot problems in my audio driver

At the beginning, before installing any audio driver, there was only beep, but boot with 2.6.26, the beep was soft; while boot with 2.6.30 and 2.6.32, the beep is very sharp and loud.
Then, as usual, I chose all ALSA packages, but it did not work, no sound but sharp beep. So I had to install OSS4 as a try, then it worked. Weird!

Does it mean that my audio chip only supports OSS?

My audio controller is nvidia MCP79 that the motherboard chips are all nvidia's mcp79.

Currently, I can listen music via xmms2 and watch movie using totem and mplayer. But when I watch videos in youtube, no sound comes from firefox(adobe flashplayer 10 installed).
After I googled and then edited the /etc/firefox/firefoxrc, it did not help!!

The last thing is that after the earphone is plugged in, the speaker is still on!!! I don't know why  or how to handle it. I tried ossxmixer but there are too many channels and options.

who can help me?

thanks

--
Best regards,
Xueqian Zhao

Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI 49931, USA
Email: xueqianz@xxxxxxx
Mailbox: 121 EERC, Michigan Tech U, 1400 Townsend St., Houghton, MI 49931