Fwd: Linux Users Grou

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Phillip Nichols" <scotchmandr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Steven Vormwald" <sdvormwa@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:54:11 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Linux Users Grou

Hi Steve,

I am so tired of Windows that I am returning to my roots (sort a). I started online with a BBS and a Unix Shell. But Linux is turning into so many new things. I experimented with Wubi and Ubuntu on my EeePC (It came with XP ) and that was fine. My only gripe was that Hibernate does not work with this Wubi install. I used LVPM to move the install to its own partition and I ended up with a grubby install ;-). Duplicate entries and the Partitioned Ubuntu would not even boot.

I did some only search and used the Grub interface to manual boot "root (sd0,5)" was needed as I had dev /sd6 as an etx3 and dev /sd7 as swap.

I hen took time only to figure out " sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu. lst " and removed the duplicates and otherwise cleaned up the menu.

Wubi grubbed up the install I guess.....

But unfortunately, This new partitioned Ubuntu still would not hibernate.

So I decided to just start over but found removing Grub to be difficult. NONE of my computers came with a regular XP Install CD. Only factory recovery disks of ghost installs (partly why I hate windoze ).

But someone online made a clone of MBRFix called FixMBR and YES it DID rewrite the MBR to an XP one and remove Grub. I have not dont anything else like remove the Linux partitions yet until I see if they are the problem.

Machine is an EeePC 1000HA with 160HD

first partition is an NTFS for XP (about 60GB)
second Extended Partition is a Second NTFS (80GB)
third Partition is Formated Etx3 at about 15GB
and the forth is Linux Swap at about 5GB

They are seen as sd1,sd5,sd6,sd7 (I dont know why they are not consecutive)

Anyway, Can you help me find a local user group or people in my area (Southfield Michigan area)
Or someone who can help. I want to get this eee with XP and Linux to help me make the change.

Thank
Phillip

"Steven Vormwald " <sdvormwa@xxxxxxx>
http://lug.mtu.edu/