Re: computer troubleshooting help needed.

Jeffrey, Thanks for the detailed advice. See below.

On Sep 23, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Jeffrey W. Petcoff wrote:

FYI: I will not pay for any damages or injuries resulting from you following the advice bellow, if you do not accept these terms delete this e- mail or
don't read it, your choice.
Of course!

Hopefully I'm not repeating what others have told you already but here is my
two cents.

1. Disconnect anything that you don't need for the computer to boot, we just want to get the BIOS to run at this point. Basically the only thing you want connected to the motherboard are: the Power supply, Processor, RAM, and
Video card plus the cooling fans for the video card, and processor.
Done this before, no luck.

* Try to turn the computer on if you see information on the monitor and no errors other than; cannot find Operating System or some message along the same lines it means your motherboard, RAM and Proc are not the problem. ** If the above does not work, try the electrical tape Idea of keeping the motherboard from touching the case basically what I would do is put the motherboard on a phone book or on the box the motherboard came in (brown card board area, nothing glossy), attach everything as I stated earlier and
retry. (if this works your motherboard is shorting out on the case
somewhere, DO NOT KEEP IT SET UP IN THIS MANNER FOR EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, THE CASE also SERVES the PERPOSE OF GROUNDING ALL things attached to the
motherboard)

Thanks, I'll try this with Eli when he has some down time.

***If you do not see any information appear on the screen I would start to suspect the power supply reason being I'm not sure what video card your using with out much more detail like model number (unfortunately a lot of video cards mach the info you provided)If you can find one that does not need to be plugged into the power supply to work an old PCI video card would work. Here is the reason I would be looking into the power supply as the problem the one I found online that matched the information you provided has dual rails meaning that 400W power supply is actually a 200W power supply for one set of leads and 200W on another set of leads If your motherboard requires more power than this or the video card needs more power than this it would cause problems. Specs on power supply I believe is yours: Rail 1 = Current +12.0V1 (A) 14A, Rail 2 = Current +12.0V2 (A) 15A, Current +3.3V (A)
30A, Current +5.0V (A) 28A, Current +5.0Vsb (A) 2.5A

Here are the specs on the power supply:

JPEG image

Applications
Ideal for adding PCI Express and SATA power support to existing computers
The perfect choice for new system builds and upgrades, including dual core CPU (Pentium D, Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64 X2) system designs

Link to your power supply specs (I think)
http://www.startech.com/item-specs/ATX2POW400HS-400-Watt-Silent- ATX12V-201-P
4-Power-Supply-with-12cm-Fan.aspx

*** big thing here though is to at least limit the problem to the bare
minimum if the above doesn't work try a less powerful video card (if this works, It could mean the original video card is bad, it could also mean the
power supply can't power the video card and or motherboard).

Will try next if checking for shorts on MB doesn't work.

FYI: Wal-Mart has an awesome return policy and cheap video cards to boot. FYI^2: if you are going to tell them the truth on why you are returning the less power full video card, maybe not a good Idea, your call I'd try a to barrow a friends if you can (old cheap PCI video card that doesn't need
additional power from the power supply to run).

If any step above works start adding additional Items one at a time to the motherboard remembering to disconnect the power from the wall and letting the capacitors discharge before adding components to the motherboard. This will take sometime since you want to connect one thing, boot computer see if it still works, shut the computer down add another item, and boot computer, turn off, and so forth. When the computer won't turn on or boot anymore you
have possibly found your problem.

Thanks for the detailed message