Re: computer troubleshooting help needed.

On Sep 23, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Peter Kolbus wrote:

Erik,

Thought I'd jump in here - the symptoms you describe really sound like the graphics card isn't getting all its power. I've built several computers in the last few years, and I have not seen a graphics card manufactured recently that didn't have a separate power connector. On ATI cards, power connectors are typically on the edge facing the front of the computer, and the connector is at or toward the top.

Here's a pic showing the PCI-e connector on a card similar to yours. If your power supply doesn't have a plug for this, I'd recommend exchanging it, although you can probably find an adapter from the 4-pin Molex connector (yellow-black-black-red wires)

Peter, Thanks for the advice. Here is the video card. I can't find any power connector on it, so I assume the power comes through the base of the card. Is there another possibility?

JPEG image

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-129-092-06.jpg

Peter Kolbus

Erik A. Lilleskov wrote:
Dan,

Thanks for answering. See my replies below.