Re: LUG Install-A-Thon

As for the first point, I'm not really sure about a One Note style program. I'm sure there is one out there, but I don't know how far along it would be, or how compatible with your old notebooks it would be. For the second point, I believe Ubuntu should support it just fine. A presentation was given on tablet features in Ubuntu at the last Installathon. For the third point, I actually already have Ubuntu on a zip drive, so If you would like I could just help you install it tomorrow from mine.
Brandon

Mark Vande Haar wrote:
Members of the LUG list:

The shortcomings of Vista and certain personal qualms have led me to
consider returning to Linux on my laptop, as I have done in the past.
However, I have a few concerns as this will be an epic undertaking for
myself and this machine (see my third concern).

I understand that a presentation will be given on productivity apps at the
Install-A-Thon tomorrow. I would like to know of one or more equivalents
to Microsoft's OneNote, comparing and contrasting features of each. I
understand this will require some research if it hasn't been done already.
Preferably, the program I would pick would probably be able to read (or at
least import) the OneNote notebooks since I've already taken a semester
and a half's volume of notes in it already. I'm also looking to be able to
write in it using my stylus, and needs to auto-save in case of a sudden
battery death. I'm often typing away with minutes of battery power left
while not in proximity to an outlet in class. This is a hell of a favor to
ask, I realize. Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.

Second concern is that my laptop is a tablet PC. Does Ubuntu have pretty
good support for tablet functionality?

Third and final, yet most imperative; my tablet does not have a cd/dvd-rom
drive. The last time I tried installing on it, this is what prevented me
from doing it. I've been through mounds of tutorials on making a USB flash
drive bootable with Linux distro. install files on it, but I didn't have
the patience to sit down and figure out why it wouldn't work for me. I'd
like to be able to make the jump tonight, so if someone subscribing to
this list knows of a better tutorial than I may have been looking at, I
would greatly appreciate being sent a link. If not, then I will bring 2
flash drives with me.

I'll definitely be there for the gaming presentation as well. I haven't
had much time for games, but wine is another thing I didn't have the
patience to figure out and make it work. I'm gearing up for the
presentations to be excellent.

Thanks for reading my novel,
Mark