Re: wanted: DVD drive recommendation

Would you like to read dvd's, write them, or both?

I have a generic Lite-On DVD Burner thing. I think I paid less than $50 for
it at Walmart. It reads and writes DVD's just fine in both Debian (sid) and
Ubuntu (gutsy). The only issue I've had is that Ubuntu, at one point in
time, wouldn't load my hdparm.conf file on boot and my drive never had DMA
turned on (drive still worked but boy was it slow).

I think the biggest issue with DVD burners is the fact that firmware
updates can only be installed through windows (apparently this has been a
problem in the past for some people).

Tim