Re: Avoid "permission denied" in find command

I tried this on csh on a machine with:

SunOS hostname 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

And I got:

hostname% find /dir -name "foo*" 2>/dev/null
find: bad option 2
find: path-list predicate-list

Jacob Fugal
jpfugal@xxxxxxx

Brian McPherson wrote:
Jacob Fugal wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone know a good way to avoid the "find: cannot read dir ' . . . . ' Permission denied" lines when executing the find command. In my experience it buries the useful information. I tried grep, but it appears that the | grep only gets the output and find pours this not very useful message to stderr. My only way around it is to sudo find, but I'm not sudo on every machine. Any ideas? It's really annoying.

Jacob Fugal
jpfugal@xxxxxxx

find foo 2> /dev/null

Sends stderr to /dev/null.