Program Usage

I'm putting together a list of requests to submit to the Geo tech support
people of things that I'd like to see installed on the linux boxes.  At
the moment all they have on here are FF (recently updated to 2 apparently)
and Open Office.   so effectively you can only use Linux to browse the
web.

what programs would people suggest that might actually be useful in an
academic environment?  What programs do people actually use on linux from
day 2 day?

-Christian