Re: computer advice

Josh Olson wrote:
 > Dr. Linda Ott is frequently asked by students to recommend computers to
 > buy. Dr. Ott would like to pass on the request to someone in MTU LUG. Is
 > this OK? How and where can she send them?

For students on a budget - TOTAL:$519.00

I've snipped all the "free" junk software to the bottom.

Josh Olson
System Administrator, Auxiliary Technologies
Michigan Technological University
(906)487-3523

Josh raises a good point about software. There are a number of viable alternatives that can save a lot of money. As a plus, they all run on Windows or Linux (and some on OS X).

*Open Office 2 or Abiword (though IMO, neither seem up to par with MS Office)
*Gimp (instead of Photoshop)

I'm sure someone can come up with more.
--
Kyle Schneider