data dvd error

i burned some backup dvds of data on my harddrive. i cannot seem to read
them now. i can play copied movies. df,ls and du work on the dvd's. when
trying to copy a file the result is either 0 or 65536. it is mounted as
iso9660. i have tried many mounting options. its a dual dvd drive. it
writes cd's and dvd's(+ and - dvds). i have tried google/linux with no
help, seemingly. tried mounting as a ext2 and it said error and mounted it
as iso9660. tried mounting as dvd and cdrom but the same thing happens.
some output below.

help please,
rob hall

this is what happens when trying to copy a file
***
@/mnt/cdrom/mail$ cp untitled.txt ~
cp: reading `untitled.txt': Input/output error
***

this is a grep of 'hd' on dmesg, nothing else was relevant. there were 70
of these i think, here is first and last
***
hdb: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error
}
hdb: media error (bad sector): error=0x34
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 7272984
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 1818246

hdb: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error
}
hdb: media error (bad sector): error=0x34
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 7357760
Buffer I/O error on device hdb, logical block 1839440
***

scanbus returns
***
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a28-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jrg
Schi lling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
<warly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
versio n.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(warly-Mandrak elinux-scsi-linux-sg '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c       1.81
04/04/18 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) *
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
        0,1,0     1) 'GENERIC ' 'DVD DUAL 4XMax  ' '2.16' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *