Re: BIOS and Hard drives

On Sunday, December 18, 2005, at 08:39 PM, Kyle Schneider wrote:

Jon Klimowicz wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on why my motherboard is refusing
to see a primary hard drive. I only have one drive plugged in to the
primary IDE channel, set on master and plugged into the primary slot on
the cable. According to my BIOS it is the secondary drive. If I plug
another drive in it does not get recognized by the computer. I have tried
using another cable and I know that is not my problem.
Jon

Have you checked the jumpers? There's really no reason to use anything but cable select anymore.

Well, almost no reason. Explicitly setting for master (Except on a WD drive, which has it's own 'only 1 drive' setting) will be more likely to avoid this condition of 'set for something, shows up as something else'. Set for explicitly master, double-check the IDE ribbon isn't plugged in backwards, and curse the IDE bus developers for allowing there to be a backwards possibility. Oh, and check the drive on the secondary channel, to rule out the drive as the problem. Otherwise, sounds like the controller is shot.

--
Peter Corbett
pwcorbet@xxxxxxx