Re: Computer Lock - Sound Card?

Dan Sauer wrote:

Heard some crackling and popping today while listening to music on my box. Assumed it to be a loose connection (dusty maybe) so unplugged Altec Lansing speaker jack from sound card (Audigy 2) and the computer locked -> more than locked -> hard locked -> front panel of PC reboot. Since I don't have a huge UPS to run my desktop on (its running the basement server) I don't like having my speakers plugged into it, so they weren't when the problem occurred. After rebooting and plugging the speaker power cord into the UPS, and the speaker jack back into the computer all the problems disappeared. Is there any chance there is a disconnect in the ground loop in the UPS that could be causing this? That would seem to be problematic, as I'm depending on a good ground for the computer to dissipate static build up. The UPS is an APC smart-ups 700VA. Has anyone ran into this before?

Thanks,
Dan Sauer

It's possible that the card might have come loose, and playing with the cord on the outside bumped it out of the PCI slot, causing the computer to lock... Other then that I don't know about static causing it. I guess it's possible.

Brian McPherson
(Dark-Fx)