Re: Help needed - Ubuntu

David O Torrey wrote:
> [...]
|
| To set up sudo access for your own account, I'd recommend putting this
| line in /etc/sudoers using 'visudo' (you'll have to log in as root to do
| this the first time.  From then on, you can do 'sudo visudo' to edit the
| file).
|
| youruserid	ALL = (ALL) ALL
|
| where 'youruserid' is (rather obviously) your userid on your system.
| Then make sure the permissions/ownership of /etc/sudoers are correct:
|
| # chmod 440 /etc/sudoers
| # chown root.root /etc/sudoers
|
| (640 also works for sudoers, but I prefer to leave it 440 as an extra
| precaution).
|
| This will allow you to run any command as any user by entering *your*
| password.
|
| I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, so maybe it creates a sort of
| administrative user during installation, but it's still a good idea to
| be familiar with 'sudo'.  The alternative is take the sudo commands that
| Tim mentions below and run them in a different window where you've
| logged in as root.
|
| Hope that helps,
| Dave
|

| On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 14:00, Tim Carmean wrote:
|

|>Ok first we'll get wireless working since that is pretty simple.
|>Step 1: Download and extract the following file:
|>
|>http://www.silfreed.net/download/hpzt3000cto/SP23107A.tar.gz
|>
|>Step 2: Open up Synaptic (Computer -> System Configuration -> Synaptic
|>Package Manager)
|>
|>Step 3: search for and install the ndiswrapper-utils package
|>
|>Step 4: Open a terminal (Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal) and
|>Navigate to the SP23107A folder
|>
|>Step 5: sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf (this will ask for your
|>password). this may or may not produce any output (its been awhile since
|>i've done this)
|>
|>Step 6: sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
|>
|>Step 7: dmesg | grep wlan0 you should see some relevant output there
|>with some ndiswrapper stuff in there too. that will tell you if all the
|>stuff you just did actually worked.
|>
|>Step 8: sudo echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules (this will make sure the
|>driver is loaded every time you reboot)
|>
|>Step 9: Open up the Networking control panel (Computer -> System
|>Configuration -> Networking) and add the wireless adapter (probably
|>named wlan0) if necessary, or change the settings of the adapter by
|>looking under the properties.
|>
|>As for the sound card if you could reply back with the output of the
|>lsmod command it would help figure that problem out. I have the exact
|>same sound card in my ASUS S5Ne laptop and Ubuntu detected it out of the
|>box. Maybe your card is simply muted. I'd just like to know what drivers
|>ubuntu loaded for you.
|>
|>Tim
|>- --
|>Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
|>Resnet Student Consultant
|>Telcom Customer Service
|>Vice President: Michigan Technological University Linux Users Group

The first user created in Ubuntu is given full sudo privliges by
default. There is no root account on Ubuntu and as such everything is
done through the use of sudo. I probably should have clarified that in
the first email. If Ubuntu ever asks for a password it is for your user
account so that should be the only password you need to remember to use
Ubuntu.

Tim

- --