Apache Experience Needed..

I am sending out an e-mail to the list to see if any one has any great Apache experience. I am working on a PHP project that will authenticate a user not only to the PHP documents but also to the Apache Server it self. I have been looking into the Apache source code trying to find how it interprets the WWW-Authenticate: Basic header so I can find a way to pass it variables. I know that the basic concept is that when a browser goes to a restricted site Apache sends a 401 request to the client as well as basic auth, if the browser has any thing it sends another header back with it's current stored username and password and wa la we are in. So basically I need to find a way to get the browser to store the header or a way to send Apache the first header and it will lace the browser with the rest. If any one wants to help out that would be great or if you have a solution please feel free to e-mail me. I am also debating rewriting that Apache mod_auth right now. Just let me know.

Eric Maino