good ideas

We're getting some good discussions here for making the meetings better.
I think that using a laptop and a PowerPoint or StarOffice slide show would
be great, but that does involve more work for the person doing the talk.
We can strongly encourage him or her to make a presentation, put it on a
floppy, and then we can probably use one of the CS department's
laptop/projector combos for our meetings.  I can check on that.

I think we can put up fliers in all the buildings on campus.
But we might need to get permission or submit the fliers ahead of time for
the MUB.

Also, maybe we could set up a computer or two (or laptops) on a table in
Fisher, the MUB, etc., the day of the meeting, and show Linux on them,
and spread the word that way.

Thursdays at 9pm in Fisher 138/139 sounds good to me, but aren't Fridays
a pretty popular day for making programs due?  Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday
night would be better?  What does everyone think?

<SPEECH>
As for deciding whether or not to come to a meeting that has a topic that
you already know about or that doesn't strike you as terribly interesting,
I would obviously encourage you to come regardless.  You never know, you may
get interested in something only after learning more about it.  And the
success of a LUG is directly dependent on those knowledgeable members being
willing to teach others and offer their expertise.  The success of the
open source movement and Linux is due to people willing to share themselves
and their time with others for the benefit of all.  It is also possible
that by coming to meetings you don't gain any knowledge from, you might
instead make some friends who may be able to help you on something in the
future.  Plus we all have work to do and other obligations/interests, but
it's my belief that in the long run people will get far more out of
consistently participating in the LUG than they put into it, however you
want to measure it.
</SPEECH>

-John