Re: Request for Opinion...

The new system looks fine to me (I happen to run phpBB elsewhere and think
it works quite well).  But out of curiosity, is there any reason not to
just run a ordinary old-fashioned NNTP server with just those groups?  The
students who were upset are likely heavy users whom I'd expect have
well-configured NNTP clients.  They may not like the switch, even though
the new system looks nice.  Not everyone likes a web interface -- some
still use text. :)

As an alternative, have you contacted any student groups about running
such a service themselves?  USG or LUG come to mind.  USG operates the
ride board, and LUG operates their own IRC server.  Either could get you
out of the news business entirely.

I'm on the LUG list, so I'll CC it there...

Thanks,
Dave

| David Torrey                     Sr. System Administrator/Programmer   |
| tj@xxxxxxx                       East Engineering Computing Network    |
| (906) 487-1405 voice             Michigan Technological University     |
| (906) 487-1620 fax                  Houghton, MI 49931                 |
| http://www.cee.mtu.edu/~tj/                                            |