Re: hello all

On Monday 29 November 2004 09:21 pm, Derek LaHousse wrote:
> Yes.  Triangulate the source. That's what they do on spy movies.

1) Triangulation to find the source should work quite well, 2.4 Ghz waveguide
antennas (such as the ever popular pringles can) are easy and cheap to build.
Other than that, you can see if there are any computers on their network
sharing a printer and print them a nice message (IANAL, I'm sure some crazy
interpretation of the DMCA might be able to get you in trouble here).

> Really, you could just use it, a lot, and if they notice, then maybe
> they'll do something about it.  You could also get in a fair amount of
> trouble, though.

2) Last I knew, you couldn't get in trouble for connecting to an unsecured
access point. While this has yet to be decided in Michigan, court cases in
other states have ruled that the owner of the access point is required to
secure it. Now, if you have to "hack" access into the network, this is a
violation of the DMCA. If your computer connects to it automatically (as was
the case for an access point by my house), you are in the clear.

-Dan Brinks