[lug-l] lug-2019-4-3-meeting-minutes

We are still looking for more people to run for e-board for next semester so far we have as nominations

President - Eric Steve

Server Team - Zach Jones

We will be doing elections next week so if you would want to run for a position com by next week's meeting Thursday at 5pm in Rekhi 101 feel free to bring a friend.

During our meeting I did a demonstration on how to manipulate partition size on a computer that uses an ext4 file system that does not use lvm.  A copy of the procedure is attached for those that missed it.  Next week we might go over something a bit more practical like setting up .bashrc file or your .nanorc file.

How to resize a file system without needing to copy from backup.

Reasons why to resize a file system?

    • Created a root file system that is too small for programs
    • want to remove a swap partition for a swap file
    • want to get rid of partitions that aren’t really needed for your use case ( such as if you had a separate partition for /var, /tmp, /boot, or /usr )

Before you begin
    • If unsure read the man page
    • Make a proper backup of critical data snapshots might not work because you are altering partitions and file systems
    • If you need to shrink root you will need to be on a different boot device such as a install media
    • Also this is for ext2/3/4 partitions without using lvm would potentially work for xfs with the exception that you should not shrink xfs

Shrinking a file system (where target_partition is the partition that is being made smaller)

	//umount partition if mounted

	//shrink the file system to the minimum size
	e2fsck -f target_partition
	resize2fs -M target_partition

	//then check size we can use the df command for this and resize
	mount target_partition
	df -h
	umount target_partiton

	//use your favourite tool the change the partition size to what you, make sure it is bigger that the file system size

Shifting the partition to a later part of the drive

	//use the sfdisk command
	sfdisk –move-data target_drive -N partition_number
	//enter shift amount for example shift the partition 4G
	+4G
or
	echo “+size” | sfdisk –move-data target_drive -N partition_number

Expanding a file system (does not need to be unmounted)
	//alter partition table for it to grow in size

	if unmounted run -> e2fsck -f target_partition

	resize2fs target_partition