Re: start a new LUG?

Seeing as I'm the current president of the LUG, I should chime in.

I'd love to see attendance at our meetings of those that may not be students. I know that in the official sense you can't become "Members" per se, but I don't see why you couldn't attend our meetings. The only thing is people who are not students wouldn't get any of the benefits that being a member would give, such as getting some funding from USG to attend a con.

I'd like to see an external LUG start up. I see no reason for there not to be, but would definitely encourage our group and the external group to help each other out as needed. Maybe even try to hold a common meeting time/place if possible.

I definitely wouldn't mind having some of the people that aren't students and or faculty come to our meetings so we could get a good idea of services or other things we might be interested in serving on our hardware so the local community can benefit more, and possibly some more ideas of other events and such that they might be interested in helping with or even funding.

I would also encourage those interested to use our IRC server and perhaps even start their own channel if you don't have your own hardware.

Brian McPherson
MTU LUG President

Neal Ylitalo wrote:
Well, if that's a viable alternative, I'm all for it - but I would assume that since MTU LUG is a Student Organization, you'd have to go through the Board Of Control. The Student Organization section of the BOC Policy Manual says that "student organizations are formed by groups of students", and I'm guessing that this is not really negotiable.

You say that there are plenty of ways to go about this - can you give some more details?

Neal