Fwd: partitions

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: BOUNCE lug-l: Non-member post [Ryan Pulkrabek <rapulkrabek@xxxxxxxxx>]
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 06:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-lug-l@xxxxxxx
To: owner-lug-l@xxxxxxx

Hello,

I'm begining to use a linux distro on my personal notebook (when I get
it next weekend). I am going to keep Vista on there, in case I need
certain compatability to fall back on, such as if someone else is going
to use my comp, etc. Anyways, my plan is to dual boot Vista with Ubuntu.
I am a bit unfamiliar with the partitions though. So, I have a few
questions that I hope you can answer.

1) Can I access my files from both OS's?

2) What is the meaning behind linux's 2 partions (/ and Swap)?

3) How big of the partitions should I create. I want just enough for
Vista to work properly and I want to maximize Ubuntu.

I am getting an HP Pavilion DV6500t. 2Gb RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T7300,
160GB hard drive, NVIDIA  GeForce 8400M... If this info helps.

I am in Finland for this fall semester, so email is the best option to
communicate. Also, I might be interested in attending some LUG sessions
in the future.

Thank you in advance,
Ryan Pulkrabek