Re: [Fwd: joint events for LUG, ACM, csgrad, and WiCS next semester]

We will be discussing it at Thursday's meeting.

--Caitlin

> Should probably decide on this as a group.

> Subject: joint events for LUG, ACM, csgrad, and WiCS next semester From:
>  "Janae N. Foss" <jnfoss@xxxxxxx>
> Date:    Wed, November 30, 2005 12:50 pm
> To:      amoliver@xxxxxxx
>          sdvormwa@xxxxxxx
>          kyle.schneider@xxxxxxxxx
>          cathelem@xxxxxxx
>          "Jason R. Lewis" <jrlewis@xxxxxxx>
>          "Warren P. Powers" <wppowers@xxxxxxx>
>          dhvandyk@xxxxxxx
>
> Hello all,
>
> For those of you who don't know me, I'm a PhD student in the CS department
>  and involved with both WiCS (women in computing sciences) and the new
> organization we are forming for CS graduate students.  I am attempting to
> send this message to the leadership of LUG, ACM, csgrad group, and WiCS.
> I got most of your names from the website of your respective organization,
>  so if that information is out-dated, please pass this along to whomever
> is  in leadership now.
>
> All of our organizations are related to computing and some of our
> organizations have held seminars/events with differing degrees of success.
>  In our WiCS meetings, we have discussed events that all of our
> organizations could contribute to.  For example, WiCS held a lab night at
> the beginning of the semester to help introduce students to some of the
> Linux tips and tricks that don't get taught in class.  I believe that LUG
> does something like this during the installathon.  One of our ideas is  to
> have several of these nights throughout the semester.  We have had
> suggestions for topics like introducing students to CVS, Gimp, Emacs vs.
> Vi, and so on.  It would be a strain for one group to take full
> responsibility for this, but between our groups we have a lot of people
> with a lot of knowledge and that could really lighten the load.
>
> Another project that WiCS has in the works is an AI game programming
> contest.  In the fall, 5 students (members of the csgrad group, WiCS, and
> ACM) attended the MechMania AI game programming contest at UIUC -- google
> MechMania for more info.  This motivated us to try holding a similar
> contest for students at MTU.  The basic idea is that we write a network
> game server and observer and then teams of 3 write clients for the game
> based on an API that is released only a short time (1 day to 1 week)
> before the competition is held.  We are in the preliminary stages of
> planning, but could use collaboration and help with coding, graphics,
> logistics, etc..
>
> At WiCS meetings, we have discussed other ideas and I'm sure that the rest
>  of you have thought of projects that could benefit from participation
> outside of your group as well.  So, for any of you who are interested in
> talking about joint activities, I'd like to try to set up a short meeting
> sometime next week.  I know that we are all very busy right now, but if we
>  start talking next week, we should be able to get some things started
> [...]

Caitlin A. Thelemann                (269) 830-1504
                                    (906) 483-9529
MTU Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
                                      chem.mtu.edu
CAEL Partner and President
                                   me.mtu.edu/cael
Linux Users Group (LUG)   Vice President
                                       lug.mtu.edu