Re: Scsi Emulation of CD and Weirdness

Michael Smith wrote:
| Linux kernel 2.6.8 has problems burning cds unless the user is root.
| This is noted by both the people who write cdrecord and k3b.  Try going
| to 2.6.9 or back down to 2.6.7.  Both of those kernels have worked just
| fine for me for burning.  2.6.9 changed some things that broke just
| about everything (including xterms) so the easiest solution is probably
| to try a 2.6.7 kernel.
|
| Matthew Hughes wrote:
|
|> I am using Kernel 2.6.8 and I did have to enable it to make cdrecord
|> work, (I think it works now...)  But initially, I had issues with
|> that.  cdrecord -scanbus wouldn't return any devices and seemed to
|> only care about my IDE-drives when emulated.  If this is obsolete, I
|> would like to know what you do differently.
|>
|> Then I booted into Windows, since I haven't figured out how to make
|> SANE work with my hp5100C.  Yes, this is a ppSCSI SANE-HP device... I
|> know that much.
|> Upon Booting into windows, I realized that I had no CD-Drives!  In the
|> Hardware Manager, I saw my DVD, My CDRW, and a SCSI CDRW.  I have no
|> SCSI CDRW and thus I found this to be quite odd.
|> To enable the SCSI emulation, I did:
|>
|> dmesg | grep ATAPI
|>
|> then I added:  modprobe ide-scsi
|> to my /etc/init.d/rcS.d
|> Version of Linux is Debian if you couldn't tell from that.
|> Thus, I now have <cdrecord -dev=1,0,0 isof.iso> working, but I am
|> enormously curious as to why Windows saw the SCSI drive.  I only use
|> Windows for Scanner-work and so this isn't too big of a deal yet, but
|> I am now very intrigued.
|>
|> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:52:18 -0500
|> Daniel Brinks <dlbrinks@xxxxxxx> wrote:
|>

|>> What kernel are you running? SCSI emulation for CD writers is
|>> obsolete and unnecessary in kernel 2.6.x, I didn't enable it and my
|>> burner is functioning fine.
|>>
|>> -Dan Brinks

I'm assuming your normal user is in the cdrom group? If not:

#adduser <user> cdrom

Tim
- --
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant
Telcom Customer Service
Vice President: Michigan Technological University Linux Users Group
CAEL Partner (in perpetual training)
Public GPG Key: http://chong.idlegames.com/crypto/tecarmea.gpg.pub