Linux Distro: Help needed

Hello,
I've been really frustrated with some major distrobutions of linux recently, and I'm looking to satisfy my frustration by creating a linux distrobution of my own. The main things I want to accomplish with this distribution includes:

1) A competant installer.
One that asks appropriate questions of the user based on his knowledge level. One that is stable on many hardware configurations, and suitable for users of all knowledge levels to use.

2) Tiny.
Something that takes up less than a cd's worth of space (650mb).

3) Sane package selection.
Example: rather than having to select cdparanoia, bladeenc, and grip, just select "CD Ripping utilities w/GUI". Idividual package selection would be an option.

4) Alot of configuration utilities.
They will work in both graphical and terminal environments.

There's a whole lot more I can't write out now, but the main thing I'm getting at is producing something that installs/runs smoothly without frustrating the user, and keeping the level of flexibility that Linux provides already.

I'm looking for some ambitious C/C++ (Maybe Java) programmers who'd want to help out with this, and have some extra time to devote. If you want to help out email me back (at eslathro@xxxxxxx, rather than the whole list).

Thanks,
  --Eric Lathrop