Re: The informal meeting...

* Barry J. Dmytro (bjdmytro@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> My 5 cents worth:
>
> "Sitting at the meeting, I kept hoping they would stop talking to we could
> move on to a better subject."

I am sorry if you thought the informal meeting was dominated by the few
of us at the south end of the lobby. I am not even totally sure who you
are Barry, but if you were one of the people at the north end of the
lobby I think you should have came down to where the rest of the group
was centered and asked your questions or give suggestions there.

> I was very disappointed.  I was hoping it would be somewhat different, but
> it was dominated by the same couple of people talking about mindless
> things and accomplishing nothing.  If this is going to be the future of
> this club, then I want nothing to do with it.
> Things they disscused there included all sorts of hopes of spending all of
> our money on one computer.  I think that that is stupid, and that our
> money should be concentrated elsewhere.  ie. a guest speaker, software
> libray, references, etc.

Like Eric said the informal meetings are more of a time to just sit
around with fellow LUG members and shoot the breeze. The informal
meetings really aren't the time to talk about anything that influences
the club. I guess we kinda let our enthusiasm about getting a server on
campus override the discussion at the meeting. I don't think anyone
mentioned spending all our money on a computer, but we can design a
budget with all possiblities that get voted on at the official meetings.

I don't know if you heard but Eric mentioned later that it was possible
that we would be able to get some people with real world linux
experience to visit the area. We also shortly discussed how we would get
the guest speakers up here.

> Also, now that we are an offical club, we must reach certain decisions by
> vote of our memebers!  Just because you think that that is the best way
> doesn't mean that you should go ahead and do it.  I feel very strongly
> about having registering our domain with network solutions.  The action of
> registering a domain could have waited till after a meeting, where we
> could have voted!

I guess we are trying to get the domain up and running before we send
the mass email out to the campus. This is the only reason that we
registered the domain so we can have somewhere to point interested
people when we send out the mass email.

> We need organization, and with out it, we will fall apart: all that
> will be left of us is the same 3 people talking about nothing that has
> to due with what we should be talking about.

I guess it would be good to get some kind of format for the informal
meetings. It would be best if people sent an email to the group
mentioning what they would like to have talked about during the informal
meeting.

> In the future, I see responces to this email being something like: "It was
> an informal meeting, what did you expect?!"  I don't care.  One person
> there suggested that we move to a room instead of sitting in the lobby,
> but they were just ignored.

I am sorry that I missed the person who mentioned that we should move to
a different room. It probably would have helped the atmosphere as people
would have been closer together and would have been able to voice their
opinions.

When I thought of the informal meeting I personally thought of a round
table discussion where all members could voice input and even have a few
different conversations at the same time.

I also may have been a major contributor to the meeting but I personally
felt that most people who wanted to voice their opinions were able to do
so.
-steve

--
Steven Isaacson <spisaacs@xxxxxxx> http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~spisaacs/
rm -rf /bin/laden   chmod a+rwx /bin/freedom