blackbox

does anyone run blackbox? i need some help with it. i'm kind of getting sick of gnome and i absolutely hate k(along with fvwm). a friend of mine told me about blackbox, and i thought i'd give it a shot. well, i installed it, and when i go to my gnome control center, it gives me the choice of blackbox as a window manager, i choose that, but that damn panel is still at the bottom. it seems as if gnome is running blackbox on top of everything else. i've tried redoing some init scripts with no luck, however.

any help would be great,  thanks

tim savage