Re: blackbox

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, tim savage wrote:

> does anyone run blackbox?  i need some help with it.  i'm kind of
> getting sick of gnome and i absolutely hate k(along with fvwm).  a
> friend of mine told me about blackbox, and i thought i'd give it a shot.
>  well, i installed it, and when i go to my gnome control center, it
> gives me the choice of blackbox as a window manager, i choose that, but
> that damn panel is still at the bottom.  it seems as if gnome is running
> blackbox on top of everything else.  i've tried redoing some init
> scripts with no luck, however.
>
> any help would be great,  thanks

I like Blackbox in theory (small, really fast, simple) but there are
few things that keep from using it full time. If you want to just start
Blackbox, instead of using it as your Gnome window manager, just put
"blackbox", no quotes, at the top of your .xinitrc file. This is assuming
that you boot to a command line and use "startx". I don't use them but if
you boot to X right away you'd have to configure XDM or GDM or whatever to
have it as an option, I've never done this but I'm guessing...

There are a lot of other add-ons for Blackbox for keyboard shortcuts
(bbkeys), a graphical pager (bbpager), etc. There's also what sounds like
an equivilant to the Gnome Control Center (bbconf), but I've never gotten
it to run on my Redhat 7.1 system (either from RPMs or compiled from
source).

Check out http://blackbox.alug.org, there's links most things there.

Jeff Kuure
jlkuure@xxxxxxx