Debian woes

Ah, poo.
Everything was running fine on my other computer, so I started on mine (it
was time to get rid of Slack anyways; I want to check out various distros
just to see what's out there). It installed okay, but I have two issues in
particular that are annoying me.

First and foremost, when I startx, it brings up KDE. That's fine, but I'm a
GNOME man. (It should be noted here that when it started KDE, it brought up
the KDE gears and shortly thereafter died.) So I ran gdm (which, of course,
only root wants to do, so I ran as root). It started up the gdm fine, but I
had no mouse and no keyboard. I couldn't enter my username, couldn't go
through the menus, switch to a different console, or even CTRL-ALT-DEL out.
(I hope I don't have to fsck when I go back; I'm in Windows right now).

If I can get that solved, the only other problem is that my mouse didn't
work when I started getting into KDE (before it quit). It's USB, but I
didn't get the option to select it as such. I then did something to the
effect of "apt-update", then in dselect, found four different USB options,
three of which (IIRC) were for developers. I chose the other, it downloaded
and installed it, but, of course, I couldn't get into GNOME.

Any thoughts? Not too bad, I guess, for my second install, considering it
took more troubleshooting to get Slack working properly.

-Adam
aeshirey@xxxxxxx
If you fork your child processes, you'll have to wait on their zombies when
they die.
-Perl Documentation