Re: Alsa YMFPCI

Daniel L. Clark wrote:
Hm, where to start,
Distro: Gentoo
Linux: 2.4.19
ALSA: 0.9.0_rc1-r7
I have YMFPCI compiled into kernel, and on boot it finds it
cat /proc/pci
Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724F [DS-1 Audio
Controller] (rev 3).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=25.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd5800000 [0xd5807fff].
and a cat /proc/interupts
  9:          0          XT-PIC  ymfpci
So its not a  shared device.

And on boot i get a wonderful little insmod error, cant init_module

Ive tried passing the card options given from modinfo snd-ymfpci
but none were really useful.
Any ideas?

-Dan

Yep, get ymfpci out of the kernel.  ;-)

You have to choose between ymfpci and snd-card-ymfpci, you can't have both running at once. If you build ymfpci as a module, you can't load both it and the Alsa version of the same module at the same time. If you *need* the OSS interface (/dev/dsp and friends), you load snd-card-ymfpci as well as snd-pcm-oss (and snd-seq-oss if you need MIDI).

What I do is select all the kernel sound-related stuff as modules. That way, if I need to, I can switch over to true OSS (but I've never needed to, except for that one time when I was looking around for other people and found out that with this card, and real OSS, RtCW would crash every time it was run. Don't know why, and it works with Alsa's OSS emulation, go figure). So snd-card-ymfpci loads soundcore, along with all the Alsa modules. And I've got modules.conf set up so that on post-install, it loads the snd-pcm-oss and snd-seq-oss modules, so I'm sure that I have OSS emulation loaded all the time. It then loads up snd-card-ymfpci on any access to /dev/{dsp,mixer,sequencer} or /dev/snd/*. Probably not the cleanest way of doing it (I don't have any reference to snd-slot-0 or snd-card-0 or snd-service-x-y or anything), but oh well. ;-)

HTH,

Bryan