Re:

What login manager are you running - GDM, XDM, or KDM? Each of these has
its own way of letting you choose various "sessions" when you log in.

I run Gnome and therefore I boot to a graphical login run by GDM. If I
want to use something other than Gnome, I have to select it from the
"Session" menu on the login screen. For example, I was playing around with
the Fluxbox window manager, so I had to create a file in /etc/gdm/Sessions
called "Fluxbox" that looked like this:

!#/bin/sh

gkrellm -w &
bbpager &
exec fluxbox

This starts Gkrellm in the Fluxbox slit, the Blackbox pager, and finally
Fluxbox. Make this script executable and it'll show up under the sessions
menu as whatever the name of the file is. This file is pretty much the
same format as an .xinitrc file and works the same way. If you just want
Enlightenment, call the file "Enlightenment" and put this in it:

#!/bin/sh

exec enlightenment

If you're running another login manager (probably KDM on Mandrake), it's
probably the same concept with different files in different locations.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Nick Young wrote:

> I'm running enlightenment and want to get some applications running when
> it starts up.  I've tried editing the .xinitrc and .Xclients files, but
> it doesn't seem to work.  After some reading I found that these only get
> executed when either startx, xinit, or xdm(and variations) is typed from
> the console.  I'm booting directly to a graphical login, thus not typing
> startx, xinit or xdm, so .xinitrc or .Xclients is not being executed.
> Is this correct?  If so, does anyone know how to get applications to
> start up automatically while using a graphical login.  I'm running
> Mandrake 9.0.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Jeff Kuure