Problem setting access control in Apache

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify my website such that it will prompt for user name and password for accessing.  But there is some problem.

The server uses Apache, and I want to make a certain directory controlled-access.  What I did is:
1. Use "htpasswd -c user1" to create a new user "user1" and set password for it.
2. copy the generated passoword file "passwd" to the controlled directory.
3. create a ".htaccess" under that directory with the content
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Provide your pass"
AuthUserFile /home/passwd
Require user user1

However, when I tried to access this directory on web browser, it prompted me to enter username and password, but would not recognize the user "user1" and the password.
Could anybody tell me where I did wrong? Thanks!

Best regards,
Leiyuan Li